Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (48:01)
- This week I invite Jacob McKean and Michael Tonsmiere from Modern Times Brewery back to do a follow up interview. Back on BeerSmith Podcast #54 they shared their plans for the new brewery and told us about going professional. Now the brewery is launched and operating, so I bring them back again to share their thoughts on the grand opening, operating a brewery and lessons learned.
- Jacob shares his thoughts on the Grand Opening of Modern Times brewery back in September, as well as what has happened since our last interview.
- Michael talks about his role developing the recipes for the launch beers.
- Jacob shares some of the lessons he learned in launching and starting up brewing.
- Michael tells us about the initial four launch beers he designed.
- Jacob discusses the business end of starting a brewery and how marketing and business is as important as making great beer.
- I ask Michael how the beers have been received by the public to date.
- We talk with Jacob about some of the new things happening including his canning operations and future beers.
- Jacob shares his work on his blog – he regularly blogs about what is happening at Modern Times
- Michael talks about the challenges in scaling recipes up from a pilot brewery to a large 30 barrel system.
- Jacob tells us where he is going next with Modern Times
- Both share their closing thoughts, and Michael talks about his upcoming book on Sour Beer Brewing
Thanks to Michael Tonsmiere and Jacob McKean for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.