NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) –
New York-based breweries have come home from one of the world’s largest beer festivals with several medals, including one gold, for their tasty craft beers.
Seven breweries won gold, silver and bronze medals from the Great American Beer Festival, which was held in Denver from October 10 to 12. Hundreds of breweries from all over the United States participate every year.
“New York is quickly becoming the craft beer capital of the country,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. “On behalf of all New Yorkers, I offer my congratulations to these breweries on their big win.”
The Great American Beer Festival features public tastings, competitions, presentations, and more. Craft brewing is one of the fastest-growing segments of the beer, wine, and spirits industry, according to the Brewers Association.
21 breweries from New York participated; these are the seven that brought home medals:
· Gold, Experimental Beer: Captain Lawrence Brewing Co., Elmsford, for 2013 Hops n’ Roses Beer
· Silver, International-Style Pale Ale: Peekskill Brewery, Peekskill, for 2013 Amazeballs Beer
· Bronze, Belgian Style Abbey Ale: Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, for 2013 Ommegang Three Philosophers Beer
· Bronze, Field Beer or Pumpkin Beer: Great South Bay Brewery, Bay Shore, for 2013 Splashing Pumpkin Beer
· Bronze, French and Belgian-Style Saison: Crossroads Brewing Company, Athens, for 2013 Maggie’s Farmhouse Ale
· Bronze, Rye Beer: Blue Point Brewing Company, Patchogue, for 2013 RastafaRye Beer
· Bronze, South German-Style Hefeweizen: Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, for 2013 Brooklyner Weisse Beer