Oregon’s North Coast region want to prove its bona fides as the Northwest’s next great beer destinations by throwing a party the weekends of Oct. 18-20 and Oct. 25-27, according to event planners.
The cities of Astoria-Warrenton, Seaside and Cannon Beach invite beer enthusiasts to join the fun of North Coast Beer 101 Weekends with brew crafted for the occasion by Astoria Brewing Company, Fort George Brewery (of Astoria), Seaside Brewing Company and Bill’s Tavern & Brewhouse (of Cannon Beach).
Events include tasting trays, tap takeovers and beer-food pairings at North Coast restaurants and brew pubs; educational talks on proper glassware, the history of brewing in Oregon; a contest to name the North Coast breweries’ collaboration beer; brewers dinner in Seaside and lodging specials in Astoria and Gearhart.
Event locations and details are posted at visittheoregoncoast.com.
• The Alchemy of Glassware and Tasting with Lisa Morrison, Saturday, Oct. 19, 3 p.m. at Fort George in Astoria. Limited to 30 participants. Sign up at the counter in the pub.
• Behind-the-Scenes and Tasting at U Street Pub & Eatery, Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 19-20 and Oct. 26-27, 2-3 p.m. and 3-4 p.m. at U Street Pub & Eatery in Seaside.
• Oregon Beer Through the Ages with John Foyston, The Oregonian’s beer blogger, Friday, Oct. 25, 6:30 p.m. at Astoria’s Wet Dog Café. Limited to 24 participants.
• Brewers Dinner at Seaside Brewing Company with Foyston, Saturday, Oct. 26, 6 p.m. at Seaside Brewing. Cost: $50 per ticket. Limited to 30 participants. Register at the website above.
• Beer tours: Transportation is offered for one of two 4.5-hour tasting tour routes Oct.19, 20, 26 and 27. Tickets cost $49 and must be purchased in advance; limited to 25 participants. Details at website above.
Ale of Two Cities Tour – Seaside and Cannon Beach – at the Wine & Beer Haus, The Lumberyard Rotisserie & Grill and Seaside Brewing. The tour begins at 12:30 p.m.at Astoria’s West Mooring Basin parking lot and returns at 4:40 p.m.
Astoria Ale Trail Tour – Astoria – at Wet Dog Café and Astoria Brewing, Rogue Ales Public House and Fort George. The tour begins at 12:30 p.m. at the Wine & Beer Haus parking lot in Seaside and returns at 4:30 p.m.
Go to visittheoregoncoast.com for the schedules, more events, lodging specials and registration where required.
— Terry Richard